Tuesday, May 12, 2009

So Long

A Note On Group Work
Like most students, when I came to the first day of class and found out about the large group project I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I have been in too many groups where no one was willing to do any work or even begin to brainstorm on topics for projects. Me, being the slacker that I am at times, can’t stand groups like this; I am willing to pull my weight but only if others are willing to do the same. If this isn’t a problem something else usually is. I have had experiences where a topic can’t be agreed upon, or where an individual’s style of work doesn’t mesh at all. But this may be the point of group work, getting students to work together even when their personalities clash.
My group in this class was an exception to my past experiences. While I do feel like we might have been able to come up with a more interesting and unique topic, I also think that we did well with what we chose. Maybe because, at least I would say, we were all fairly relaxed students we worked well together. I also think it could be because our group was chosen for us, based on our writing, rather than randomly putting members of the class into groups. Regardless of the reason this was my best experience working in a group.
Throughout the semester I think we became more aware, as a group, of our individual differences. In many cases this would have made our group project harder, but that was not the case here. As we became more aware of our differences we also became more accepting of those differences. This caused us to work even smoother together. Overall the group work to turned out to be a fulfilling experience.
I can safely say the same about the class as a whole. I enjoyed the class session because they left plenty of room for discussion and were very interactive. I also enjoyed the blog as the prompts were interesting and made me think about things in different ways, as well as making me think about things I never thought about before. The blogs also did the job of making us write more frequently, which is necessary to becoming a better writer.
I learned some practical things in this class, such as gaining a little more familiarity with grammatical rules. I also learned some things about myself as far as how to keep myself in check when I completely disagree with what other people in class are saying. Overall, the group work was the highlight of the class, but there were no low lights.
Until Next Time
Tractor

No comments:

Post a Comment